About the Office of Buildings
The Office of Buildings enforces the Codes adopted by the City of Atlanta to ensure minimum standards for the construction, repair, demolition, occupancy and maintenance of buildings, structures and properties.
We review, approve and issue all permits required by the City's Codes for the repair, alteration or addition to all public and private buildings and structures; as well as, permits for new construction. We assist property owners in their effort to ensure that buildings are in compliance with the standards set forth in the City's Codes.
Services offered: permitting, plan review, zoning enforcement, arborist, and inspections.
PLEASE NOTE: The fax server for the Offfice of Buildings is temporarily down. Faxes can temporarily be sent to fax number (404) 658-1310. We appreciate your paitence as we work to resolve this issue.
Plan your visit
We are located on the third floor of City Hall in Suite 3900.
GENERAL OFFICE HOURS
Monday to Friday
8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
FOR GENERAL QUESTIONS CONTACT:
Wanda McMullen (email@example.com)
Commercial and residential permit applications are accepted Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Online applications will be processed during normal business hours 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please note: The Office of Buildings would like to ensure adequate time is available to address your needs before our offices close for the day at 5 p.m. We offer this sign-in schedule to assist in planning your visit to our offices:
3:00 p.m. is the last sign-in for building plan review
4:00 p.m. is the last sign-in to obtain a permit
PLAN REVIEW Question and Answer Sessions
(Effective November 4, 2013)
Building Plan Reviewers are available to meet with the public for general questions:
• Tuesday and Thursday only: 8:15am-4:00pm (subject to availability)
• Session cannot exceed 15 minutes
• Sessions that require more than 15 minutes will require a scheduled appointment
4:00 p.m. is the last sign-in
5:00 p.m. is the last sign-in for plan review
Pursuant to Ordinance #13-O-121
Click here for details.
STANDARD CONSTRUCTION CODES
Effective January 1, 2014
The following will be the State of Georgia's minimum Standard Construction Codes:
• International Building Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2013)
• International Residential Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2013)
• International Fire Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2013)
• International Plumbing Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2013)
• International Mechanical Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2012)
• International Fuel Gas Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2013)
• National Electrical Code, 2011 Edition, with no Georgia Amendments
• International Energy Conservation Code, 2009 Edition, with Georgia Supplements and Amendments (2011) (2012)
• 2012 NFPA 101 – Life Safety Code with state Amendments (2013)
PLEASE NOTE: There will be a 90-day overlap, whereby the City of Atlanta will continue to accept the plans prepared under the current Codes in use. After March 31, 2014, all plans submitted must conform to the above stated Codes to be acceptable for permitting.
IMPACT FEE WAIVERS
In accordance with Section 19-016 (e) of the City of Atlanta, Georgia Development Impact Fees Ordinance, the Department of Finance and Administration has issued a determination that funding for FY 2009 and FY 2010 Impact Fee Waivers is no longer available. The issuance of Impact Fee Waivers has been suspended until further notice.
OFFICE OF BUILDINGS 55 Trinity Avenue
3rd Floor - Suite 3900
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Phone: (404) 330-6150
Click here for a list of Contacts for the Office of Buildings
Click here for a complete list of the Office of Buldings' Forms and Checklists.
HELP IMPROVE OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE
Click here for Customer Service Survey Form
The Department of Planning and Community Development is on Facebook. Visit our page (and like us).