Designated: Historic Building Exterior
March 12, 1990
2494 Peachtree Road
Fronting 237.5' on the west side of Peachtree Rd., 900' from the northwest corner of Peachtree Rd. and Peachtree Battle Ave.
District 17, Land Lot 112
Fulton County, City of Atlanta
Existing Zoning RG-3
Architect: P. Thornton Marye
Builders: J.S. & C.R. Collins
National Register listed within the Peachtree Heights Park District
At the intersection of Lindbergh Drive (formerly Mayson Avenue) and Peachtree Road, stands the imposing Randolph-Lucas House. Constructed of red-brick in the Georgian style, the house was designed by P. Thornton Marye for Hollins Nicholas Randolph in 1924.
PERIOD AND SETTING
At the turn of the century, Atlanta's population was centrally confined within a corporate boundary which had been altered only slightly by the influences of animal and electric powered urban transit systems. Between 1900 and 1930, the Southern economy prospered as never before and under the influence of the automobile, Atlanta began to grow outward. Between 1920 and 1930 outmigration in and around Atlanta increased the population residing outside the defined city limits by 68.1%. Demographically this number consisted mostly of middle and upper class whites. By 1920, 73.5% of those citizens listed in the Social Register had taken up residence north of the city. The northward movement of upper class residences along Peachtree Street, begun before the Civil War, increased as the lines for horse-drawn and electric trollies were extended from the downtown in the late nineteenth century. In the first two decades of the twentieth century, suburban neighborhoods like Ansley Park and Brookwood Hills were developing along, and parallel to, the Peachtree ridge. Generally, the most prominent houses faced Peachtree Street on one acre lots, with smaller houses and lots characterizing off-Peachtree roads. By the 1920s, the Atlanta Constitution was noting that the automobile had made it easy for the city businessman to live in the country. The Randolph-Lucas house is representative of the migration of a civic elite from within the city to outside the city limits due to the popularity of the automobile.
The house itself is situated on a large lot nearly twice the size of lots in nearby "garden" suburban developments. The Randolph-Lucas House and other houses in the immediate vicinity along Peachtree were similar in size and were structures built by prominent citizens of Atlanta after the turn of the century. The Randolph-Lucas House situated at two major crossroads with a highly visible semi-circular drive in front reinforced the growing importance the automobile had in developing areas north of the city.
HOLLINS NICHOLAS RANDOLPH
At the time of the home's completion in 1924, Hollins Nicholas Randolph was a prominent citizen and an established attorney in the city. He began law practice in Atlanta in 1896, upon graduation from the University of Virginia one year earlier. The Randolph family ties to Virginia were generations old: Hollins Randolph was descended from two Virginia governors, Thomas Mann Randolph and Wilson Cary Nicholas; his great, great grandfather was Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence and third president of the United States. The hip roofed, dormered, Georgian residence that Randolph commissioned for Peachtree Road is copied from the ancestral home "Dunlora" in Albermarle County, Virginia, where Randolph was born in February 25, 1872.
Hollins Randolph married Caroline Tison Walter on October 17, 1899. They resided at 12 East 16th Street in Ansley Park prior to commissioning their home on Peachtree Road. Among his professional accomplishments, Mr. Randolph served as local counsel for the Seaboard Airline Railway, general counsel for the Atlanta Savings Bank (acquired by Trust Company in 1930) and the Atlanta Savings Company. He also served as general counsel for the Federal Reserve Bank and Capital Issues Committee. He was a delegate to the Democratic National Conventions in Baltimore, St. Louis, San Francisco, and New York (1912, 1916, 1920, 1924 respectively). He received a Certificate of Distinguished Achievement from the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce for putting forth the plan of the Stone Mountain Memorial. In addition, he authored the Congressional Act directing the minting of five million Stone Mountain coins. He served as counsel for the Boulder Dam development on the Colorado River, the Cape Cod Canal in Massachusetts, and the St. Andrews Bay Development Company. He also served as counsel for William Randolph Hearst's interests in the South, particularly Hearst's Atlanta newspaper.
Hollins Nicholas and Caroline Randolph resided at the Peachtree Road residence for ten years. In 1934 they sold the home and moved to Washington, D.C. where Randolph served three years as attorney for the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. Shortly after his retirement, he died at the age of 66 on April 29, 1938.
Julian Hirschberg resided briefly in the house in 1935. Mrs. Margaret Lucas purchased the property in 1935 (Fulton County Deed Book 1537, page 582). Her husband, Arthur Lucas, owned several Atlanta theaters including the Tenth Street Theater and the West End Theater. The Lucas' daughter, Jean Lucas Storey, married the president of the Storey Theater Company.
P. THORNTON MARYE
P. Thornton Marye was born on September 4, 1872. He was reared near Fredricksburg, Virginia at "Brompton", the eighteenth-century home of his grandfather, the Rev. James Marye, II. Mr. Marye attended Randolph-Macon College during 1888-1889 and was subsequently enrolled at the University of Virginia until 1890. Marye continued his architectural training in the office of Glenn Brown and began private practice in Newport News, Virginia.
Launching a distinguished military career, Marye served as Captain, commanding Company C, Fourth Virginia Volunteers during the Spanish-American War. His later military career during World War I included: Major, Construction Division for the U.S. Army, member of the Transport Corps of the American Expeditionary Forces, Command Officer of the Motor Parks and Motor Trains of the Third Army of the Occupation in Germany. Marye later served as Lieutenant Colonel in the Reserve Corps.
In 1902 and 1903, Marye operated offices in both Newport News and Washington, D.C. At this time, Marye was awarded the contract for Atlanta's Terminal Station. He moved to Atlanta in 1904 and established a practice that evolved to include partnerships with Barrett Alger (Marye & Alger, 1920-21); Richard Alger (Marye, Alger & Alger, 1922-25); Olivier J. Vinour (Marye, Alger & Vinour 1926-1929); and J. Nisbet Marye and J. Warren Armistead, Jr. (Marye, Vinour, Marye & Armistead, 1930-1935). Marye died in 1935.
Marye's designs in Atlanta include the Atlanta Terminal Station (1904), St. Luke's Episcopal Church (1906), the Shrine Mosque now known as the Fox Theatre (1929), and the Southern Bell Building on Ivy Street (1930).
This red brick, Georgian-styled residence is based upon the design of a period Georgian estate where Hollins Randolph was born. "Dunlora" in Albermarle County, Virginia is undoubtedly the precedent for Marye's design. The approach to the Randolph-Lucas is from the east via a semi-circular drive from Peachtree Road. A wrought iron fence with brick piers and decorative gateposts surmounted with a case stone fronts on the Peachtree Road right-of-way. The fence was designed by Philip Trammell Shutze and postdates the house.
The two story house is faced with red brick laid in common bond and in the Georgian manner is bilaterally symmetrical on the front elevation. The five bay elevation includes six over six double hung sash windows, which are surmounted with flat brick arches with inset keystones. Operable, paneled and louvered shutters are located at all windows. Centered within the east elevation is a six-panelled entrance door on the first floor flanked by sidelights and surmounted by a fanlight. A flat-roofed portico extends from the house and covers the entrance. Three composite columns support each front corner of the portico; matching composite pilasters flank the door surround. On the second story, above the entrance is a six over six sash window, flanked by sidelights, and surmounted by a cast stone lintel, which opens onto the roof of the entrance portico. An iron rail surrounds the portico roof. The slate covered, bell cast, hip roof is pierced by three gable-roof dormers which contain round-headed double-hung sash windows. The deep cornice of the hip roof includes modillion and dentil molding. Two exterior end chimney's rise on the north and the south elevations and flank a dormer window similar to the three on the east roof. Two identical dormers are positioned in the west roof.
The interior arrangements, echoing the exterior, are symmetrical. The basic floor plan harks back to a central hall, four over four plan, customary in larger Colonial eighteenth-century residences. Several modifications to this pure floor plan include a sun room projecting beyond the rear hall, adjoined to a screened porch.
The historic carriage house, identifiable in Marye's photographs of the house, remains southwest of the residence as a historic outbuilding. Marye intended the garage to resemble a Colonial eighteenth-century stable. An arched breezeway separates the two garages. The white clapboard building contains a one bedroom rental apartment.
Appleton's Cyclopedia of American Biography, Volume 5, Appleton, 1888.
Atlanta City Directories.
Atlanta Journal, November 25, 1923.
Dictionary of American Biography, Volume 8, Charles Scribners, 1935.
"Hollins Randolph", Obituary, Atlanta Journal, May 1, 1938, Section A-10.
"Hollins Randolph", Obituary, New York Times, May 1, 1938, Section II-7.
Marye Photograph Collection, Atlanta Historical Society.
Men of the South, New Orleans, Southern Biographical Association, 1922.
National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form for the Peachtree Heights Park District.
Notable Men of Atlanta, Atlanta: (Foote & Davies), 1913.
Preston, Howard L. "A New Kind of Horizontal City: Automobility in Atlanta 1900-1930", (Emory University Ph. D. Dissertation, 1974).
"Randolph-Lucas Residence" by Theresa Thaxton, Georgia Institute of Technology (Arch 6402, Fall, 1986).
Georgia Department of Natural Resources, State Historic Preservation Office Files.
The City Builder Magazine, Volume 8, no. 12, February, 1924, & Volume 8, no. 4, June, 1923.
Who Was Who in the South, Marquis Who's Who Inc., 1973.
Williford, William B. Peachtree Street Atlanta, Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1962.
Group I (1) (2) (3)
Group II (1) (3) (6) (7) (9) (10) (11)
Group III (1) (2) (3)
The proposed nomination of the Randolph-Lucas House meets the above-referenced criteria for an Historic Building or Site as set out in Section 16-20.004 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Atlanta.