Dead, Dying and Hazardous Tree Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

About the dead, dying and hazardous tree permit

The dead, dying and hazardous tree permit is a stand-alone permit that can be obtained through the Arborist Division of the Office of Buildings. It allows a private property owner to remove trees that are dead, dying or hazardous. This permit is required for all hardwood trees that are six (6) inches in diameter at breast height (DBH) and pine trees 12 inches and larger. The City of Atlanta wishes to protect all healthy trees by requiring the permit and field inspection.


The City of Atlanta does not actually remove any trees on private property. When hiring a tree removal company, the City of Atlanta recommends a company that is insured and bonded.


For trees on public property, contact the Department of Parks and Recreation at 404.546.6813.



How do I obtain my dead, dying and hazardous tree permit?


Complete the application for a tree removal permit. It can be submitted in several ways: in person to an arborist division permit technician, faxed to 404.546.8758, or e-mailed to Email is the recommended format.


The form is available at the Arborist Division counter and on the Arborist Division’s web page,



Upon receiving an application for a tree removal permit, the assigned arborist will complete a field inspection of your tree(s) within five (5) business days.  During periods of heavy volume, turnaround time may be longer. Applications will be processed in the order in which they were received.



Upon completion of the field inspection, the arborist will approve or deny the removal of the tree(s).  The inspection report will be returned to you via fax, email or U.S. mail, which will document the results of the field inspection. The report must be available on site for inspection during tree(s) removal.


If tree(s) are denied for removal you may appeal to the Tree Conservation Commission. For more information on the inspection report, please contact the senior analyst for the Tree Conservation Commission at 404.330.6235. Under particular circumstances, denied trees may be removed through a landscaping application. Please see the landscaping plan checklist for these requirements.



How do I pay for my dead, dying and hazardous tree permit?


There are no fees associated with the inspection or permit issuance.



What are the required documents?

Permit Application

If you have a tree to be inspected, visit the linked website to apply online. Submit the completed form online.


Apply Here

View Full Site