Why Atlanta Main Street?
Neighborhood business districts are the heart and soul of Atlanta. They are where communities come together to shop, dine, catch a show or just catch up. Strong main streets support better access and healthier, more sustainable lifestyles. The Department of City Planning is partnering with Georgia Main Street to launch a new program to support community-led initiatives that are critical to equitable, preservation-based economic development.
Click here to see the presentation from our Atlanta Main Street Kickoff event.
What is Main Street?
Since 1980, the Main Street Approach has been used across the country as a framework for community-driven, comprehensive revitalization of older and historic commercial districts. Today, the National Main Street Center has a network of over 1,600 neighborhoods and communities, with over 100 commercial districts in the Georgia Main Street Program. The approach outlines steps to develop transformation strategies focused on four main areas: economic vitality, design, promotion and organization.
Atlanta Main Street Network
The Main Street Network will bring together neighborhood commercial district leaders from across the city to:
- Work with peers and economic development leaders to problem-solve challenges facing neighborhood commercial districts.
- Learn from national experts and local leaders on how using the Main Street approach has transformed their districts.
- Join a coalition of Main Street advocates that are working together to highlight the power of localized economies.
Atlanta Main Street Fellowship
Atlanta Main Street is launching a 1-year fellowship program for communities seeking to launch Main Street initiatives in their district.
- Fellows will receive exclusive access to: data aggregation and storytelling resources, economic development training, district branding consultation, and more!
- In-depth 1-on-1 and group training about developing a Main Street District in Atlanta.
- Development of a strategic work plan for the district.Work with the Atlanta Main Street team to complete Main Street projects in your district.
- Applicants will receive exclusive access to the Atlanta Main Street team and curated Main Street 101 training from Georgia Main Street.
- Local Main Street field trips and travel to National Main Street Conference.
Georgia Main Street
Atlanta Main Street is an initiative in partnership with the Georgia Main Street Program. Click here to learn more about all of the great work Georgia Main Street does around the state.