What is a Neighborhood Planning Unit?
The City of Atlanta is divided into twenty-five (25) Neighborhood Planning Units (NPUs), which are citizen advisory councils that make recommendations to the Mayor and City Council on zoning, land use, and other planning-related matters. The NPU system was established in 1974 by the late Mayor Maynard Jackson to provide an opportunity for all citizens to actively participate in the Comprehensive Development Plan, which is the city's vision for the next five, ten, and fifteen years. Since then the NPU system has evolved into what it is today – the official avenue for citizens to receive updates concerning all functions of City government. Enabling citizens to express concerns and provide input helps the City in developing plans that best meet the needs of each neighborhood.
Which Neighborhood Planning Unit do I live in?
- City of Atlanta's GIS tool – click here
- In the top left corner, enter property address in the Find address or place text box (hit enter)
- Once Property Information is displayed on the right side of the screen, scroll to the Administrative Area and the corresponding NPU letter will be displayed
- I want to see a list of every neighborhood in each NPU – click here
- I want to see every neighborhood in alphabetical order with corresponding NPU – click here
- You can also click on the map below to see a more detailed map of the neighborhoods within each NPU:
**Per Legislation 17-O-1423 (signed by the Mayor 12/13/17), the boundaries of NPU-F have expanded due to annexation. Please see here for the most recent NPU-F map.
When and where does my NPU meet?
Membership is open to anyone 18 years or older whose primary residence is within the NPU, as well as to any corporation, organization, institution, or agency which owns property or has a place of business within the NPU.
If your organization would like to make a formal presentation at an NPU meeting, please fill out the External Presentation Request Form by following this link. Please provide 30 days advance notice for processing.
Helpful Links/ Documents
- Map of NPU's with Council Districts
- Map of NPU's with Police Zones
- Map of NPU's with Zip Codes
- E-mail List Sign Up - receive monthly meeting notifications via email!
- NPU Contact Sheet- find the best point of contact for your NPU-specific question!
- NPU Calendar - easily keep up with rotating NPU meeting schedules!
- Directory of Neighborhood Organizations - send updates to NPUmail@AtlantaGa.Gov