What is a Neighborhood Planning Unit?
The City of Atlanta is divided into twenty-five Neighborhood Planning Units or NPUs, which are citizen advisory councils that make recommendations to the Mayor and City Council on zoning, land use, and other planning issues. The NPU system was established in 1974 to provide an opportunity for citizens to participate actively in the Comprehensive Development Plan, which is the city's vision for the next five, ten, and fifteen years. It is also used as a way for citizens to receive information concerning all functions of city government. The system enables citizens to express ideas and comment on city plans and proposals while assisting the city in developing plans that best meet the needs of their communities.
Which NPU do I live in?
The map below shows all twenty-five Neighborhood Planning Units in the City of Atlanta. You can find your neighborhood by looking at an alphabetical list of neighborhoods that shows which NPU each neighborhood belongs to or by looking at an alphabetical list of NPUs and the neighborhoods they contain. You can also click on the map below to see a more detailed map of the neighborhoods within each NPU.
When and where does my NPU meet?
Agendas Page - This list of meeting times and places for each NPU also includes links to the agenda for the next meeting. Each NPU meets on a monthly basis to consider community concerns. Membership is open to anyone 18 years or older whose primary residence is within the NPU, as well as to any corporation, organization, institution, or agency which owns property or has a place of business within the NPU.
- Map of NPU's with Council Districts
- Map of NPU's with Police Zones
- Map of NPU's with Zip Codes
- E-mail List Sign Up - Add your name to the e-mail list to begin receiving monthly NPU notices. You can also help the City save on postage by having your name removed from our regular mailing list.
- NPU Contact Information - Find out how to get in touch with the chairperson, city planner, and zoning contact for each Neighborhood Planning Unit.
- Directory of Neighborhood Organizations - If your neighborhood organization isn't listed in the directory, please fill out a registration form.
- Neighborhoods USA - A non-profit organization committed to building and strengthening neighborhood organizations.