Our research has shown that USPS, FedEx, and UPS are using similar methods following recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization to protect their employees and customers from the spread of this virus:
- Temporarily suspending signature required for most deliveries in the U.S. to extend safety precautions at the point of delivery except for shipments with adult signature required
- Regularly disinfecting the equipment used to sign for deliveries
- Reinforcing team member education and hygiene
In order to prevent City of Atlanta mail carriers from sending back packages and limiting the hardship on our Departments, we have decided to open the mailroom this Wednesday, March 25 to receive and sort mail with the expectation to open on March 30 for distribution to our departments. Our hours and policies will be adjusted slightly to accommodate the ordered shelter in place:
- Hours: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:15a.m. –2p.m. (Unless a scheduled package is to be processed and mailroom is informed) Proper PPE for mailroom attendants will include disposable gloves and mask.
- Department pick up will be staggered to allow for social distancing and customers must stand at least 3 feet from the office counter.
- Mail is to be taken back to the department’s suite on the day of receipt, sorted for distribution, and never taken home.