Ice and snow bring many hazards to residents and commuters to the City of Atlanta. Know how to be prepared for a winter storm and extreme cold.
Remember these essential tips to be prepared for the winter:
- Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways and driveways.
- Sand to improve traction
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment
- Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular heating fuel sources may be cut off.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep an emergency supply kit with winter supplies in your vehicle
- Bring pets/companion animals inside during winter weather. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered area with non-frozen drinking water
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat.
In the event of extreme cold, please contact 311 or the Mayor's Office of Constituent Services to find the City of Atlanta's warming centers.
Know Winter Weather Terms
Mobile Winter Ready Kit
For information regarding road treatments in the City of Atlanta, please visit the Department of Public Work's webpage.