The WorkSource Atlanta made important changes to the 2018 Summer Training and Employment Program, S.T.E.P. Forward due to mandates set forth in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).S.T.E.P Forward is WorkSource Atlanta summer jobs program which offers paid, eight-week work experience opportunities for Atlanta youth. The work experiences are paid, short-term, planned, and structured activities in participating Atlanta-area businesses, non-profits, and government agencies.
Changes to the S.T.E.P. Forward program include:
- Priority will be placed on out-of-school youth with barriers to employment, education, training, and supportive services.
- Youth will be required to satisfy three (3) rounds of qualifications:
- Eligibility determination (American Jobs Center application)
- Work Experience program application
- Youth will earn their job through a job interview conducted by the hiring employer.
The S.T.E.P Forward program aims to provide Atlanta youth with work readiness training, financial literacy workshops and skills assessment.
- STEP Forward is open only to City of Atlanta residents and WIOA eligible youth, defined as:
- 16 to 24 years old
- High school drop-out
- High school graduate/GED
- Basic skills deficient or English language learner
- 14 to 21 years old
- Attending any school
Meet at least one or more of the following criteria.
- Basic skills deficient
- An English language learner
- An offender
- A homeless individual, a homeless child or youth, a runaway
- In foster care or has aged out of the foster care system, a child eligible for assistance under section 42 U.S.C. 6774, or in an out-of-home placement
- Pregnant or parenting
- A youth who is an individual with a disability
The S.T.E.P. Forward Program resume summer employment registration in early 2019. Please check the website regularly for updates.