PLEASE READ THESE GUIDELINES BEFORE DOWNLOADING REQUEST FORM
What is a ceremonial document?
The City of Atlanta ceremonial document highlights achievements, charitable events, civic-minded individuals and/or memorable occasions. Ceremonial Documents are given in the form of a letter. Ceremonial documents are prepared by the Mayor’s Office of Communications and include the Mayor’s signature.
Please note that all documents requested go through an internal review process.
Note: A person or organization may receive only one ceremonial document per year.
The Office of the Mayor does not issue proclamations. We ask that anyone seeking a proclamation from the Atlanta City Council to contact a member of the Council or Council staff person first for sponsorship and approval. Please call Council Communications at 404 546-1928 for more information or click here to access the City Council Page for proclamations requests.
Who are ceremonial documents given to?
- Honorary Citizenship – Foreign Dignitaries, prominent individuals, entertainers, or artists
- Appreciation – Outstanding contributions to the City and citizens of Atlanta (including monetary, in-kind donations, cultural contributions or volunteer efforts)
Letters of welcome will be issued for the following:
- Family Reunions that will be held in Atlanta
- Class Reunions for schools and institutions that are located in Atlanta, or for reunions that are held in Atlanta
- International Dignitaries- Request will be first reviewed by the Office of International Affairs. Detailed information about dignitary must be provided with request for initial review.
Information required: A brief summary about the company, organization, or group holding the event. If the event is annual, please include the number (ex. 9th Annual Painters Convention.) Also include the date of the event, location, and theme if one exist. Photographs of the Mayor will be issued for souvenir publications upon request or student projects.
Please note that letters will not be issued for events that are not held within the City of Atlanta.
Letters of Congratulation or Celebration will be issued for the following:
- Professional Celebrations
- Religious Anniversaries and Celebrations
- Significant Birthdays – 75 and higher
- Significant Marriage Anniversaries – 50 and higher
Information required: Indicate the title or nature of the event, the specific date, a brief history of the organization, a biographical sketch of the person, and any other pertinent information. Photographs of the Mayor will be issued for souvenir publications upon request or student projects.
Please note that letters will not be issued for celebrations that are not held within the City of Atlanta.
How do I request a ceremonial document?
- To start the ceremonial document process an individual or organization must first submit a written request to the Mayor’s Office of Communications e-mail, U.S. mail or courier. All request must be neatly printed or typed.
Attn: Ceremonial Documents
Mayor’s Office of Communications
55 Trinity Avenue, S.W.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
- All requests MUST be received one month (30 days) prior to the event or printing deadline.
- All requests must include the name, daytime telephone number, and email address of the contact person. A second phone number and e-mail address is greatly appreciated.
Submitting a draft of the document desired with the request will expedite the process considerably
- Please specify whether the document should be mailed , emailed as pdf, or held for pick-up